• Can you dance the hippogriff? - When the
students are dancing to The Weird Sisters at the Yule Ball, Viktor Krum can be
seen jumping up and down at the back of the group with Crabbe or Goyle jumping
behind him, their hands on Krum's shoulders. However, immediately after, Krum is
seen dancing with Hermione, and neither Crabbe nor Goyle is anywhere to be found
- with no time to move between shots.
• Moving Fork - When Hagrid stabs Professor Flitwick in the hand with his
fork, the fork changes places slightly between the wide shot of the two of them
and the close-up of Flitwick's hand, even though the fork hasn't been removed
• Where's my wand? - After Wormtail performs the Avada Kedavra curse and
raises the "bone of the father," he places Voldemort's wand inside the left side
of his coat before slicing off his right hand. When Voldemort says, "My wand,
Wormtail," Wormtail retrieves the wand from the right side of his coat.
• Say what? - When Harry goes into the owlery and reads the letter from
Sirius, we see that Sirius wrote "By the way, the bird bites." But when we hear
Sirius reading it aloud, he says, "P.S. The bird bites."
• Interchangeable Ink - On the Hogwarts Express, when Harry writes
"Sirius Black" on the envelope, it is written in thick black ink. However, in
the next shot when the envelope is in Hedwig's beak, the name is written in thin
• Dumbledore, Stand Here! - After Beauxbatons' entrance into the Great
Hall, Fleur bows in a close-up with the wood platform directly behind her, and
then Dumbledore kisses Madame Maxime's hand. In the next shot, when Dumbledore
quickly runs up onto the platform to introduce Durmstrang, there is a white mark
on the wood that he promptly stands on. This mark is not on the platform in
neither the previous nor the following shots.
• What Did You Do To Your Glasses? - In various scenes throughout the
film, Rita Skeeter and Harry have no lenses in their glasses.
• Reflections - In a number of shots within various scenes, the
reflections of the reflector screen and set lights are briefly visible in the
lenses of characters' glasses (such as Rita Skeeter's) or in a character's eyes.
• What's Your Name Again? - When we're first introduced to Bartemius
Crouch Sr., Dumbledore pronounces his name distinctly from how it's said
throughout the rest of the film.
• Tick-Tock - When the Goblet of Fire is about to reveal who the Three
Champions are, the clock strikes nine. But if you listen carefully while
Dumbledore is talking, it only rings eight times.
• Out of Sync - In numerous scenes throughout the film, characters are
heard speaking - although their lips never move.
• Moving Staff - When Malfoy is transformed back to human form in the
Ferret Scene, Moody proceeds to chase him around a tree, thus leaving his staff
sticking up from the ground next to the spot where he stood. In the one shot
over Malfoy's shoulder before he rounds the tree, Moody's staff is sticking at
an angle up from the ground. However, when the camera cuts back to this same
position after following Malfoy around the tree, the staff is now sticking up
perfectly perpendicular to the ground and not at any angle.
• Swapping Spells? - In the movie, every time someone uses Expelliarmus,
the victim falls unconscious - but Expelliarmus is only supposed to expel your
wand from your hand... not hurt you.
• Where's Ronald? - When Filch comes running into the Great Hall before
Dumbledore announces Durmstrang and Beauxbatons, he runs past Ron twice. The
first time Ron is sitting up and turns his head as Filch runs past. The second
time, Ron is resting his head on his arms on the table, and picks up his head as
Filch goes by.
• Swapping Towels - At the end of the second task when Harry gets out of
the water, Hermione runs over to him and wraps her towel around him. But in the
next aerial shot, Hermione has still got the towel around her... and in the
following shot, Harry's got Hermione's towel!
• Finicky Flames - Once Sirius leaves and Harry and Ron have their
argument, Harry walks back to the fire to see the Daily Prophet burning
brightly, flames dancing: the whole nine yards. The light on Harry's face is a
soft glow, something you would not see with a dancing fire.
• Mudblood or Muggle? - During the Graveyard scene, just after Voldemort
gives Harry a taste of Crucio, he goes into a speech about Harry's mother
and calls her a "filthy Muggle". Lily was a witch and therefore could not have
been a Muggle. Shouldn't he have said "filthy mudblood mother"?
• Only Skin Deep - When Hagrid accidentally stabs his fork into Professor
Flitwick's hand, in the first and second shots you can see that it is only
resting on the skin and not in the hand.
• Where's the Parchment? - When the Goblet of Fire sends out Harry's
name, it shows it on lined paper; however, all the students at Hogwarts use
parchment. Why would Harry's name have been written on Muggle paper?
• Confused? - When Harry, Ron and Hermione are in the Forbidden Forest
with Hagrid just before they start singing the school song, Hagrid exclaims:
"When I first met yer, yer were jus' a bunch o' misfits, yer kinda reminided me
o' meself and here we are 4 years later!" But if they were in their fourth year
it would be that they had been at the school just over three years!
• Pure Luck - In the scene after the Death Eaters came and Harry is
passed out on the ground, everything around him is burnt, but he hasn't been
• Two Notes - When the students are studying in the Great Hall before the
Yule Ball, Fred passes Ron a note telling him to "Get a move on or all the good
ones will have gone." The piece of paper that Fred throws at Ron has four lines
of writing on the top half of the page, possibly even with a letter or two
scratched out. When they show a close-up of the note in Ron's hands, however,
there are only three lines of writing and they are in the middle of the page,
with no scratch-outs. Now if only we could read what the first note said!
• How many wands? - In the Sorcerer's Stone, when Hagrid is telling Harry
about Voldemort, the flashback comes up and you see Voldemort killing Lily
Potter. You can see that Voldemort's wand is dark brown and thick. But in the
Goblet of fire, when Wormtail is giving Voldemort his wand in the cemetery,
Voldemort's wand is white, thin, and has snake fangs where you grip the wand.
• Color Me Confused - When Cedric Diggory casts his super-charged,
knock-out "Expelliarmus" at the milky-eyed Viktor Krum in the maze, his wand
emits a silvery light, yet when Harry fires the same spell two separate times at
Lord Voldemort in the graveyard, his wand shoots a jet of red light. After the
Third Task, Dumbledore fires another silver "Expelliarmus" at the imposter
Inconsistencies: They aren't mistakes - but they sure are noticeable!
• Which House? - Throughout the entire film, anytime we see the Patil
twins, they're together - and both wearing Gryffindor robes. However, anyone who
has read the books knows that Padma's a Ravenclaw.
• Say What? - When Wormtail is performing the ritual to bring his master
back to a body, he says, "Bone of the father, unwillingly given." I don't think
Tom Riddle Sr. can be unwilling or willing. In the book it was unknowingly
• Snuffles? - In the movie, Harry writes to Sirius and puts the name
"Sirius Black" in big bold letters on the envelope before sending it off with
Hedwig, who is a very noticeable bird. If Sirius won't send a letter back with
Hedwig for that reason, how smart of Harry is it to send a letter to "Sirius
Black," who is at this time still wanted by the Ministry?
• Accidental Amputation? - In the book, Wormtail cuts off the hand that
is already missing a finger. In the movie, however, he cuts off the hand that
has all five fingers.
• Bravery - At the beginning of the film, Wormtail refers to Voldemort as
"my Lord Voldemort." We know from reading the books that everyone is terrified
of saying his name, even his followers.
HPearth is an unofficial fan
site and is not affiliated with J.K. Rowling,
Scholastic Books, Bloomsbury Publishing or Warner Bros. Entertainment. All
trademarks and copyrighted material are the property of their respective owners. Layout Made by Suman Barua., art Copyright of Mary Grandpre, Warner Bros.
and Scholastic Plc. HPearth.com is a copyright of Harsh Sadhvani and Suman
Barua. Any use of our site illegally is strictly prohibited.